August 20, 2011

Hunt for Tier Gear: Tier 1

Welcome to the first installment of 'Hunt for Tier Gear'! I had this idea a few days before the patch 4.3 announcements, after picking up T11 shoulders for my druid (finally!) and the T11 helm for my paladin. Getting these highly visible bits of tier gear was immensely satisfying - I felt like I had something to show for my efforts that couldn't be bought with VPs. I started looking up old druid tier sets and put together a plan of action to farm them, from Tier 1 right through to Tier 10. Such a big list, with so many notes - heaven!

The patch 4.3 news and the announcement of Transmogrification, accompanied by 80 slots of Void Storage, put an end to any restraining concerns of space and also gave me a good kick up the behind to get started.

Each 'Hunt' I start will be updated when I run the relevant content but there will links on the 'Gear Hunt' page at the top of the blog. I'd like to give other gear-hunters an idea of how long it might take because this is new ground for me, and doubtless will be for other people who started playing in WotLK or Cataclysm. I'll list the tier items that dropped each week and there'll also be a running total of materials which dropped for me - you could either hoard these for crafting professions (as I will) or sell them to fund your fashion needs!



Let's begin the Hunt for Tier 1! The Cenarion Raiment isn't widely adored by players, but I really like it. All the pieces drop in Molten Core - the belt and bracers as BoE from any mob, the rest from bosses. Ragnaros drops Tier 2 legs, but no Tier 1 pieces. Whilst running Molten Core, you gain Hydraxian Waterlords reputation (trash rep from Neutral to Revered, boss rep from Neutral to Exalted).

There are also two (yes, two!) legendary weapons connected to Molten Core:

[Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros]
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I'll be writing mini guides on how to obtain these soon.

Week 1 rundown:

Molten Core is ridiculously easy to clear. I think any class is capable of soloing it now but for fun I got my partner to bring his warrior. If you've never been to Molten Core, Ragnaros is still pretty imposing! He managed to kill my meatshield warrior with a huge knockback and the resulting fall damage, so if you eat a Hand of Ragnaros you might have a corpse run on your hands.
No druid tier gear dropped this week, but the warrior tier pieces have bought me company for future runs!

Materials looted in Molten Core after 2 weeks:

[Elemental Fire] x 56
[Elemental Earth] x3
[Heart of Fire] x 37
[Core of Earth] x 16
[Essence of Fire] x 36
[Essence of Earth] x 12
[Blood of the Mountain] x 1
[Lava Core] x 19
[Fiery Core] x 14 

Week 1 drops:

Hunter - wrists, gloves, legs, feet
Mage - shoulders
Paladin - head, chest, wrists
Priest - chest, hands
Rogue - legs, legs (Tier 2)
Shaman - legs (Tier 2)
Warrior - shoulders, hands

Week 2 drops:

Druid - hands, legs
Mage - shoulders
Paladin - hands
Priest - shoulders, chest, bracers, feet
Rogue - legs
Shaman - feet
Warlock - legs (Tier 2)
Warrior - chest, legs

2 comments:

  1. Your Void Storage is going to be filled to the brim come 4.3 XD

    Now, I quite like that druid (T1) set! It actually looks like it's taking the druid class to it's roots (quite literally).

    Ah, I ventured into MC not too long ago, like being inside a Volcano isn't it? Glad you enjoyed it.

    Eager to see the next one,

    - Jamin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be right! I wouldn't have it any other way :D
    MC is great on the inside. Lots of bridges and lava, a non-linear route and some good dialogue. I wish I'd been around when it was current, despite the hassle of 40-man raids!

    Thanks Jamin!

    ReplyDelete